MITIMCo needs a skilled Data Integration Engineer to take a key role in creating a new data warehouse and automation environment that will integrate financial systems, support the investing and accounting process, and provide a platform for advanced reporting and analytics. This is a new role in which the candidate will have an opportunity to demonstrate both strategic and tactical skills. Focused understanding of data architecture, data modeling, governance, and basic computer science are required. The person in this role must have demonstrated experience working with business stakeholders to articulate data models and automation processes at an abstract level, and demonstrated success and skill at turning those abstract models into real production systems.
The Data Integration Engineer must be able to adjust to constant business change. Common types of changes include new requirements, evolving goals and strategies, and emerging technologies. The position requires the ability to interact, develop, engineer, and communicate collaboratively at the highest technical levels with clients, vendors, partners, and all levels of MIT staff.
This is an opportunity to make a significant difference in the operation of MITIMCo’s back office, which is the steward of information related to the investment of MIT’s endowment and retirement funds.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Provides thought leadership and technical expertise on data modeling, integration and quality.
- Thinks strategically and performs tactically; equally proficient at mapping business requirements onto logical and physical data models, and coding to deliver results.
- Plans data integration process by developing logical and physical data models; developing common definitions of sourced data; designing common keys in physical data structure; establishing data integration specifications;
- Delivers data integration across internal and external environments through MITIMCo’s data warehouse by developing and modifying code to export, transform, and load data; resolving and escalating production issues; coordinating actions among users, operations staff, and outside vendors; recommending adjustments as objectives change; documenting operational procedures and data connections.
- Improves data integration by designing and evaluating new data interchange techniques; enhancing and expanding physical data models; thinking about creative solutions and employing agile techniques to deliver;
- Enhances Information Technology team accomplishments and competence by planning delivery of solutions; answering technical and procedural questions for less experienced team members
- Updates job knowledge by tracking strategies and technologies; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
Qualifications & Skills:
- 8+ years of experience with demonstrated history of excellence
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science required
- Experience as a key developer building data integrations and data warehouses in a financial environment is desirable
- Demonstrated experience and success with the following: building and supporting ETL processes with Microsoft SSIS 2012 or later, Visual Studio/SSDT, SQL Server 2014 and later; coding middleware applications to process data contained in files, connect to external REST APIs, and connect to database systems; coding scripted solutions and automating repeatable processes using Cygwin (or other *nix OS), bash, Python and/or other appropriate technologies; and integrating multiple systems with different types of integration points and physical data models.
- Demonstrated excellence in Agile development, problem diagnosis and incident management, change management.
- Strong problem solving skills; ability to manage time effectively and execute successfully under minimal supervision.
- Effective communication and people skills. Ability to work closely and effectively with technical and non-technical users.
- Discretion and judgement dealing with confidential information or subject matter