This position will lead a team of computer technicians, system administrators, and other IT staff to meet the technology needs of SANDAG and will work closely with the Director on strategy, operations, budget, and continuous improvement initiatives.
Overview of Information Technology Service and Infrastructure
The Information Technology Service and Infrastructure team is comprised of twelve system specialists, network, cloud, and system administrators supporting nearly 400 employees at multiple San Diego locations. The division is responsible for all IT end-user services, such as application and desktop support, maintenance of enterprise applications, data center and cloud storage systems, as well as network management including Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN) and Metropolitan Area Network (MAN). The division supports all aspects of Microsoft Office 365 including application support, user management, data management, and Azure cloud storage and compute.
- Provide leadership, management, and technical expertise related to IT strategic planning, enterprise architecture, applications, desktop support, IT infrastructure, and budget and resource management; participate in the implementation of the IT Strategic Plan.
- Plan, manage, and coordinate the development and implementation of program goals; develops and implements IT operations and security policies, procedures, and practices based on industry best practices and in compliance with agency policies and regulatory requirements.
- Manage the operations, maintenance, and implementation of IT infrastructure including Enterprise System Administration, Network and Communication management, as well as the creation, adoption, and administration of standard operating procedures and policies.
- Oversee the design, testing, acquisition, development, operation, integrity, support, performance, maintenance, protection, and enhancement of a comprehensive system of information technologies, including hardware, software, system infrastructure, network and Internet connectivity, specialized equipment, third-party services, enterprise databases, telephone systems, traffic management systems, and/or interactive voice response and recording systems.
- Collaborate with member agencies on broader IT solutions that improve the region’s transportation system.
- Develop and implement new or revised programs, policies, procedures, and methods of operation; monitor and evaluate various systems and processes; recommend and implement enhancements to ensure effective systems and services are in place.
- Coordinate projects, services, and activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; respond to, negotiate, and resolve sensitive, significant, and controversial issues.
- Supervise, mentor, train, and support career development opportunities for a team of technical employees; oversee and coordinate projects assigned to the team; review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures.
- Prepare Requests for Proposals (RFPs) including scopes of work and project budgets; evaluate competitive project proposals and participate in the selection of consultants; oversee and administer contracts.
- Develop, implement, and administer the IT portion of the annual SANDAG Program Budget; supervise the forecasting of additional funds needed for staffing, resources, equipment, and/or supplies; supervise the monitoring and approval of expenditures and the preparation and implementation of budgetary adjustments as necessary.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with major course work in software engineering, computer science, information technology, or a related field and at least seven years of increasingly responsible professional information technology systems experience, including two years of supervisory experience. ITIL certification is desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience providing professional leadership and direction, management, and technical expertise for a comprehensive technology service program.
- Experience managing the operations, maintenance, and implementation of IT infrastructure, including the creation, adoption, and administration of standard operating procedures and policies.
- Experience supervising and evaluating the work of technical employees; experience evaluating internal business processes and balancing workload with staff resources; experience providing leadership and direction for assigned programs.
- Understanding of the principles and practices of budget preparation and control; ability to prepare and administer large budgets; demonstrated ability to meet program and project goals in a timely manner and within budget.
- Experience coordinating projects through consultants; experience with the development of RFPs, scopes of work, budgets, and schedules, consultant selection, and contract management; experience managing consultants, vendors, and integrators, to ensure projects are completed on time, within budget, and at a high level of quality.
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively, both orally and in writing, to a broad range of audiences; ability to prepare clear and concise administrative, technical, and informational reports; ability to prepare and deliver public presentations and recommendations to a variety of audiences with diverse viewpoints such as upper management, member agencies, Boards, and other audiences.
- Proficiency with the Windows operating system and Microsoft Office 365 applications, and technical understanding of Microsoft platforms such as Azure, SQL Server, and various Microsoft servers.
Benefits and Salary
Our benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. Retirement and financial security benefits are provided through a pension plan and deferred compensation program. SANDAG offers flexible work schedules and employees are provided with paid time off and paid holidays.
Careers at SANDAG
A job at SANDAG is guaranteed to engage your mind, expand your skills, and enhance your professional development. We are committed to hiring talented individuals who are dedicated to working on important issues and enthusiastic about making significant contributions that improve the lives of people in the San Diego region.
How to Apply
We encourage interested candidates to apply for this position by completing a SANDAG Employment Application. Resumes, cover letters, and work samples may be submitted but are not a substitute for the Application.
The Employment Application can be downloaded from the SANDAG website or requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (619) 699-1900. Completed applications can be submitted via email, fax, or regular mail. See our Careers / How to Apply webpage for additional information.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), SANDAG will accommodate persons who require assistance in order to apply for a position at SANDAG. Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability during any stage of the recruitment and selection process, including requesting this document and related application materials in an alternative format, should make their needs known by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com, (619) 699-1900, (619) 699-1904 (TTY), or fax (619) 699-6905.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, applicants hired by SANDAG must show acceptable proof of identity and evidence of authorization to work in the United States.
The selected candidate can anticipate a driving record check upon hire, and approximately annually thereafter. The results of the check may determine whether the selected candidate will be permitted to drive for SANDAG business.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer