Business Development Manager
About this role…
As NWEA’s Business Development Manager, you will report to the VP, Strategic Partnerships and Business Development (SPBD), and be responsible for managing business development partnership programs for the organization. You will be called upon to deliver financial analysis, development of business models, evaluation, selection and management of key partners who will help NWEA achieve our goals of growth and impact on student outcomes. Your work will be key to maximizing the outcomes of new and existing partnerships by regularly providing relevant data insights and reporting, preparing executive communications, and overseeing administrative processes related to performance metrics and strategic documents.
NWEA® is a research-based, not-for-profit organization that supports students and educators worldwide by creating assessment solutions that precisely measure growth and proficiency—and provide insights to help tailor instruction. For 40 years, NWEA has developed innovative pre-K–12 assessments, including our flagship interim assessment, MAP® Growth™; our progress monitoring and skills mastery tool, MAP® Skills™; and our reading fluency and comprehension assessment, MAP® Reading Fluency™. Educators trust our professional learning offerings to accelerate student learning and our research to support assessment validity and data interpretation. Our tools are trusted by educators in more than 9,500 schools, districts, and education agencies in 145 countries.
Your next challenge…
- Key responsibilities for the Business Development Manager role are:
- Partner Onboarding
- Partner Information Management
- Partner Contract Management
- Partner Performance Management
- Partner Risk & Compliance
- Partner Offboarding
- Serve as the key point of contact for product management and engineering teams
- In partnership with the VP, Strategic Partnerships & Business Development, implement and socialize new Strategic Partnerships Program.
- Develop and manage a strategic partner management lifecycle process, for new and existing partners
- Manage the overall strategic partnership program Kanban processes, including regular reviews and reporting
- Working with the SPBD team, oversee and manage regular communication of partnership status and progress to the organization for senior executives and other team members for curriculum and strategic partnership work.
- Regularly collaborate with Product Management, Product Engineering, Corporate Services, Initiative Leads, and other teams to establish new processes and communication in support of strategic partnerships.
- Develop financial and business model templates for easier evaluation of partnerships, models and opportunities
- Working with SPBD team, help develop high-value metrics for the impact of the curriculum and strategic partnerships on NWEA goals, market reach, revenue, and student outcomes.
Traits for success…
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, including demonstrated presentation experience and overall professional demeanor.
- Curiosity – a desire to find the best solutions, based on internal and external data and insights
- Proven ability to distinguish milestones and measures critical to the overall success and translate these into meaningful action steps. Verbal and written communication should transform complexities clearly and concisely in a way that inspires action.
- Strong desire and proven ability to successfully develop relationships at all levels within an organization.
- Through effective questioning skills, must be able to synthesize information and identify the potential root cause for problems.
- Excellent analytical skills; ability to use data and other evidence to drive action.
- Proven track record of working well within teams and across the organization to drive results.
- Strong ability to prioritize to ensure timely delivery and focus on greatest opportunities for impact.
- Business insight: apply knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals.
- Customer focus: build strong customer relationships and deliver customer-centric solutions.
- Financial acumen: interpret and apply an understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Tech-savvy: anticipate and adopt innovations in business-building digital and technology applications.
- Action-oriented: take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Resourcefulness: secure and deploy resources effectively and efficiently.
- Collaborate: Build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Build networks: effectively build formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Communicate effectively: develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Instill trust: gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Self-development: actively seek new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
- Being resilient: rebound from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
Education and experience…
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications or similar discipline required; MBA or other advanced degree or equivalent work experience a plus. An equivalent combination of three years’ education and four years’ experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum of three years of practical implementation in business development/management/sales experience within the education industry
- Experience with financial modeling/financial analysis highly preferred
- Strong preference for experience in the K-12 education industry
What we can offer you….
At NWEA we not only offer a competitive base salary, we offer a 15% contribution of eligible employees’ base salary to a defined contribution 403(b) retirement savings plan; career development opportunities; an awesome work culture and environment; we also offer industry-leading benefits and perks that are focused on supporting our employees’ holistic wellbeing. To learn more about what we can offer more, click here.
NWEA endeavors to make www.nwea.org accessible to all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please call us at (503) 624-1951 or e-mail us at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request, your location and your contact information. This is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
NWEA is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our EEO Policy Statement, please visit our website. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please visit the EEOC website