Upper School Director/Department Chair of Counseling
Brentwood School inspires every student to:
Think critically and creatively.
Shape a future with meaning.
Brentwood School, a vibrant and diverse K-12 independent school, is looking for a full time Upper School, Director of Counseling to begin in August of 2019. We are looking for individuals from independent, public, private, or charter schools, with experience in counseling upper school age students, a masters degree or doctoral degree in psychology or social work (doctorate preferred), and appropriate licensure.
It is expected that a successful candidate would:
- Foster a culture of community and growth in the Upper School
- Support programming that strengthens student commitment to the core values
- Nurture the growth of emotional intelligence and character development of students
- Demonstrate and promote a collaborative approach when working with faculty and staff
- Support students of varied identities, lifestyles, and beliefs in meeting various school expectations
- Create an environment that fosters open discussion with the freedom to express varied points of view
In addition, a candidate should possess the following qualities and attributes:
- Deep understanding of and experience with school communities and school-based programs
- Strong knowledge of the ethical and legal considerations of counseling practices in a school environment
- An interest in and openness to professional development
- Commitment to equity and inclusion
- Excellent clinical, interpersonal, management, and leadership skills
- Strong collaboration and cross-cultural competency
- A sense of humor, warmth of personality, and energy
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Foster and promote an atmosphere of professionalism, collegiality, and collaboration among counseling department members
- Facilitate conversations about student well-being within the department and amongst the administration and faculty
- Provide short term individual counseling to students
- Handle the administrative details associated with running the department
- Be accessible to faculty and parents/guardians for consultations
- Participate in the hiring process for the counseling department, which includes the reading of resumes and interviewing candidates
- Co-lead bi-weekly concern and support meetings with the Assistant Director of the Upper School
- Present to parents/guardians and faculty and staff on adolescent development and wellness issues
- Periodically write an article for the school’s weekly newsletter
- Meet periodically with the Middle School and Lower School counselors
- Collaborate with the 9th Grade Foundations team and teach two sections of the course
- Work with the counseling team to ensure the appropriate communication between the School and outside counselors
- Serve as a member of the Upper School’s Administrative team.
- Perform additional duties and participate in the life of the school
Brentwood School is dedicated to the creation of a diverse faculty and staff that best represents our student body and the city of Los Angeles. Information about our school can be found at www.bwscampus.com. Please submit a letter of interest and resume to the contact person listed below. In your letter, highlight your education and experience specifically related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Ms. Corisa Moreno
Administrative Assistant to the Upper School Director
100 S. Barrington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90049