The primary responsibility of the Cost Analyst will be to lead the cost estimating process and develop and maintain the supporting systems for the accurate and timely development of detailed cost estimates in response to Customer and internally generated New Business RFQ’s, Engineering Changes, VA/VE and other cost reduction activities.
The Cost Analyst reports to the Corporate Purchasing and Cost Planning Manager. The Cost Analyst will not have any direct report responsibilities. The Cost Analyst will work closely with the Sales Leads, Sales Managers, General Managers of the production facilities, Program Launch Managers, Corporate Purchasing and multiple Engineering functions which will support the development of many of the supporting product/cost assumptions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Own” the success of the cost estimating process:
- Coordinate quote kick-off discussions with relevant internal resources to distribute available customer information
- Develop and maintain “cost masters” for all new business and engineering change quotations
- Develop detailed list of assumptions for use in defining the basis of the cost estimate and quote to the customer
- Develop impacts for any requested/considered engineering changes using the current “cost master” as the baseline, in a format that will support the strategy of the Sales Manager/Sales Lead.
- Support Sales in the development of the pricing strategy for both New Business Quotations and Engineering Changes.
- Develop and maintain a “user-friendly”, consistent format for the “cost master” with linkages to specific customer pricing forms in a manner that:
- Creates consistency in costing approach among product groups
- Allows cost benefit analysis for manufacturing facility decision making
- Allows for intelligent discussion on strategy for distribution of burden and margin within breakdowns.
- Tracks the formal distribution of burden and margin finalized in the quote pricing forms.
- Identify specific assumptions when necessary to address/resolve any information gaps that prevent the quote team from providing a high quality RFQ response in a timely manner to the customer.
- Develop a working knowledge of all HFI manufacturing processes and their respective manufacturing costs, specific to each of HFI’s manufacturing facilities.
- Develop a working knowledge of the manufacturing costs specific to key commodities purchased from outside vendors and be capable of developing our own internal cost estimates when there is no time for a formal RFQ to be supplied.
- Foster a collaborative and productive working relationship among sales, engineering, program management, and plant operations/engineering within the cost estimating and quoting processes.
- Develop and support the financial analysis of program launches for budget planning and status purposes with the Program Launch Managers.
- Develop and support the financial analysis of program “build-outs” for budget planning and negotiation with the customer by the Program Teams.
- Support the Engineering Change Notification (ECN) process as needed.
- Assist in “special projects” as assigned.
- Must be willing to travel as needed.This will involve trips to our facilities from time to time which should not involve greater than 20%.
Tools and Technologies used in this Position:
- Microsoft Office
- BPM- Business Processing Management
- Macola - ERP system
- MQ1 Database