Controller – Position Summary
This position will direct the management of the general ledger, accounts payable, and general accounting functions of the organization to ensure that transactions are recorded, documented, reviewed and supported in accordance with company policies, generally accepted accounting principles and Sarbanes-Oxley rules. The Controller reports to the Chief Accounting Officer.
We are seeking an experienced candidate with public accounting leadership experience in a complex and high volume transactional organization. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, a proven critical thinker, and adaptable to a rapid changing landscape, with the ability to excel in a fast-moving, goal-oriented environment. This person will add value to the organization beyond the day-to-day tasks in the accounting department. The key priorities for this person will be managing accounting operations, leading the accounting team, managing and improving internal controls and processes, and acting as a strategic business partner. The successful candidate will have strong communication skills, technical accounting expertise, proven ability to influence others to collaborate toward a common goal, and the ability to commission, deploy and monitor effectiveness.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Supervise the management of the monthly closing process of the general ledger, which includes monthly reporting, analytical review, pre and post-closing entries, general ledger reconciliations, and supervision and review of staff and output.
- Supervise the review of general ledger reconciliations and the clearing of transactions.
- Supervise the analysis of general ledger accounts, transactions and variance explanations.
- Supervise the management of the external audit process.
- Responsible for the evaluation of significant accounting transactions, research and implementation of relevant technical accounting standards, and preparation of technical accounting memos supporting accounting position
- Ensure transactions are recorded, documented, reviewed and supported in accordance with company policies, generally accepted accounting principles and SOX contro
- Coordinate the preparation of reports and schedules to support annual tax filing
- Assist with the management of the loan and revenue accounting function and output.
- Supervise the management team over general ledger and accounts payable staff.
- Establish and implement team goals, objectives, policies and operating procedu
- Set team priorities, perform staff performance evaluations, and provide training to staff.
- Develop processes and business partner relationships with internal and external groups that will improve the flow of financial information within the company.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
Internal Controls and Processes
- Oversee accounting aspects of Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance.
- Ensure the proper operational and design effectiveness of internal controls over general ledger accounts and accounts payable and their processes.
- Supervise the management of the accounts payable process, which includes the A/P module, invoice process, company policies and controls, tax reporting requirements and vendor management.
- Responsible for the evaluation and implementation of new accounting standard update
Strategic Business Partner
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of financial status.
- Serve as a key business partner to other functional areas and operations in providing financial information to drive the business and serve the customer.
- Keep current with industry and regulatory changes that directly impact financial reporting in support of the business.
- Assist leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and assist with the comparison to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the Chief Accounting Officer in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
Required Education And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting & CPA required.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional accounting experience required.
- Five or more years of management experience required.
- Public Accounting required and SEC reporting experience preferred.
- Consumer Finance industry experience preferred. Multi-unit experience required.
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and the ability to apply GAAP to new and existing transactions. Must have knowledge of difficult accounting concepts and procedures and the ability to apply to daily activities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, advanced Excel experience required.
- Excellent professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to motivate team to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Ability to prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast paced and growth oriented environment.
- Requires willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.