Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Bond and Specialty Insurance division is looking for an Underwriting Specialist to be a part of its Private & Non-Profit Liability Home Office underwriting team. The Underwriting Specialist must have some direct experience in underwriting management liability insurance coverage and an understanding of the Private & Non-Profit insurance market. This position will report directly to a Regional Underwriting Officer (RUO).
The Underwriting Specialist will contribute to the success of the Bond and Specialty Insurance division by understanding & underwriting exposures and being a dedicated resource to the field office teams. In addition to assisting assigned region(s) in achieving their budgeted financial results, the Underwriting Specialist will be involved in setting coverage and strategy terms for this segment of the market, with oversight from a RUO. Additionally, some project work is expected of this position.
- Underwrite new and renewal business including building productive relationships with assigned field offices and business partners.
- Presentations to RUO and other senior staff members may be required for over-authority.
- Support sales goals & plans of Field offices, working with RUO to assist the field in achieving their goals.
- Make appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority and make appropriate recommendations on over-authority.
- Review complex and demanding accounts/risks, and recommend creative and prudent solutions which mitigate exposures (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, and limits).
- Within authority, make timely and prudent decisions consistent with Bond & Specialty Insurance requirements and standards and within submission timeframe.
- Portfolio Management - Maintain quality of business required by Bond and Specialty Insurance and Private & Non-Profit underwriting team strategy
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/information in account management systems and adherence to documentation standards.
- Set a positive example for others.
- Should be or work to become an industry/subject matter expert.
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with Field and Home Office (i.e. Claim, Legal) colleagues.
- Actively participate in Bond and Specialty Insurance meetings.
- Demonstrate superior responsiveness to the Field (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products).
- Participate on projects having an impact on the business, often with oversight from RUO or other senior staff member.
- Understand, embrace, execute, and foster policies, procedures, and strategies.
- Four year college degree preferred
- RPLU preferred
- Strong writing, analytical, interpersonal, presentation and investigative skills.
- Effectively communicates & collaborates with Field and Home Office colleagues (Claim, Legal, etc.).
- Communicates with confidence and ability to influence outcome of interactions, even when other more senior team members are involved.
- Ability to participate in presentations both internally externally.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Assist team members to ensure customer needs are met.
- Possesses a strong work ethic and demonstrates operational excellence by complying with policies, procedures, and strategies, and organizing and prioritizing workload.
- Highly motivated to meet requirements of position.
- Seeks opportunities to continuously develop skills.
- Conducts self in a professional manner when representing the organization both internally and externally.
- Minimum 2 years experience underwriting management liability insurance coverage in either a field or home office role.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.