The Executive Director serves as the Chief Executive Officer and President of the ACLU of Minnesota and is responsible for giving direction and leadership toward achieving the organization’s mission, strategies, and annual goals and objectives. The Executive Director also serves as the Chief Executive Officer and President of the Minnesota Civil Liberties Union Foundation d/b/a ACLU of Minnesota Foundation.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will ensure that the organization is fiscally sound and adheres to best practices of non-profit management. The Executive Director will also ensure that internal and external communications, fundraising, and programs are advancing the mission of the ACLU-MN.
The Executive Director will have a sophisticated and thorough knowledge of Constitutional Civil Liberties issues. This person will be a leader and manager who is adept at balancing management with program activity and visibility. The individual must be an outstanding communicator who is able to effectively convey the mission and activities of the ACLU-MN to a variety of constituencies, as well as to the broader public.
The Executive Director will also have ongoing responsibility for the following:
Leadership and Vision
- Serves as a visible and effective communicator, spokesperson, and fundraiser for the ACLU-MN’s mission; works to diversify and expand the ACLU-MN’s donor base, along with the Board and staff
- Initiates and strengthens relationships and collaborations with diverse and inclusive organizations and leaders who are connected to the ACLU-MN’s mission and purpose
- Supports effective Board operations by engaging the board in meaningful participation to further the organization’s goals, including policy formation, goal setting, and providing direction and leadership for the organization’s philosophy and missions
- Initiates and strengthens relationships with government officials for the purpose of advancing the ACLU-MN's agenda without compromising ACLU-MN's historic role as a critic of government infringement on or violation of Civil Liberties
General Management, Finance, Administration and Programs
- Ensures, through effective management and leadership, that day-to-day operations are professionally and efficiently organized and administered
- Oversees the legal, legislative, public education, and communications programs
- Oversees the organization’s financial operations, budgetary and audit processes and ensures that sound financial controls are in place
- Motivates and maintains a diverse and cohesive staff, ensuring that there is strong internal communication and coordination; recruits new senior staff and evaluates their performance.
- Implements policies, programs, goals, and objectives as established by the Board
- Works with the Board to identify and help recruit new Board members who will add diversity to the Board and whose talents, interests, and commitment will help to further the ACLU-MN’s mission and expand funding opportunities
- Briefs the Board on the status of the organization on a timely and regular basis, enhances Board participation in strategic planning, creating visibility, and fundraising
Qualifications and Characteristics for the Executive Director
Ideally, the successful candidate will be:
- Passionate about and personally committed to the ACLU-MN’s values, mission, goals, policies, and programs, with an understanding of the range of Civil Liberties issues and their implications
- A dedicated leader and representative who can translate vision into action; someone who is passionate about networking and representing the organization to critical constituencies including ACLU members, the public, government, and the media
- A person who is intelligent and inspiring; able to conceptualize, express ideas, solve problems, and anticipate and act on events that may create opportunities for the ACLU-MN
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and finisher
- Excellent oral, written, and digital communications skills, including public speaking and informal interpersonal communication
- Demonstrated ability working with diverse organizations and understanding issues that affect diverse and inclusive communities
- Ability to use technology to facilitate organizational management, fundraising, public education and lobbying
- Ability to travel within Minnesota and nationally (including occasional overnight travel)
- A Bachelor’s degree is required
- A minimum of five years of supervisory and management experience, preferably including experience with a nonprofit advocacy or community organization
- Experience in political, government and/or legal arenas is desirable but not essential
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, medical and dental coverage, life insurance, short and long term disability insurance and a 401(K). Anticipated start date is to be determined.
Please submit a resume and a brief cover letter describing your interest in the position by May 15, 2017 to:
ACLU of Minnesota
Attn: Executive Director Search
2300 Myrtle Avenue, Suite 180
Saint Paul, MN 55114
Please use your name as the subject line of email.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.