Divisional Resources Analyst
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 27710
This position is being filled at either the Divisional Resources Analyst (JobID: 27710) or Senior Divisional Resources Analyst (JobID: 27713). Applicants are encouraged to apply for the position for which you are best qualified. If in doubt please apply for both.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to Policy.
Employees canhttps://healthcenter.ucsc.edu/services/covid-19/covid-vaccine.html#requirement online orhttps://healthcenter.ucsc.edu/services/covid-19/covid-vaccine.html#exception.
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 12-16-2021
The Division of Physical and Biological Sciences (PBSci) is a global engine of high-impact science and student research experiences. The Divisional Accounting group supports the Division's academic and research mission by managing a mix of funding sources including, but not limited to, state general funds, gift and endowment income and course fee and recharge funds. The Divisional Accounting Manager supervises a staff of three financial analysts and plays a key role in overseeing core divisional business functions in the areas of financial and budgetary management, accounting control, fiscal planning, analysis and reporting.
In PBSci Divisional Accounting, we value teamwork and strive to provide high-quality financial management support for our PIs. The PBSci Division and the divisional accounting team are dedicated to fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students.
The Division of Physical and Biological Sciences provides general science education for all UCSC undergraduates, educates undergraduate science and engineering majors, and maintains research and graduate programs of national and international stature. The Division is comprised of departments and programs of study, organized research units, instructional and research programs to attract and retain a diverse population of students, and a variety of support programs and facilities. Physical and Biological Sciences' annual state budget is approximately $45 million with $72 million of extramural research funding.
More information can be found at https://science.ucsc.edu/
Uses skills as a seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of industry practices and organizational policies and procedures; resolves a wide range of issues in imaginative as well as practical ways. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Contacts are both internal and external to the department.
Under the general direction of the Divisional Resources Manager, the incumbent will provide budgetary and financial administration for multiple Departments, several recharge facilities, miscellaneous individual units and offices, and specific grants and accounts within the Division, including State funds, extramurally funded gifts and grants, matching funds, conference accounts, course and miscellaneous fees, and recharge income. Specific responsibilities include fiscal administration, financial analysis and planning, and special projects.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $79,750 - $93,200/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Percentage of Time: 100%
- Average Hours per Week: 40
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007709 (FINANCIAL ANL 3)
80% - Fiscal Administration
- Provide ongoing budgetary monitoring for PBSci organized research units (ORUs), departments, and recharge units. Conduct first-level review of budgets and expenditures; identify potential unit funding shortfalls and surpluses; recommend appropriate reallocation to maximize use of funds. Conduct post audit reviews of exceptional transactions to ensure proper authorization and policy compliance.
- Review and approve reimbursements, requisitions, and other expenses including payroll. Oversee processing of recharges to meet monthly fiscal and annual closing deadlines. Consult and analyze appropriate guidelines to ensure compliance with University policy and procedures and appropriateness of fund source; ensure compliance with Federal and University regulations in determining recharge rates.
- Perform tasks for accounts receivable activity to ensure proper handling and timely processing and proper financial controls are followed. Prepare invoices for external entities and individuals. Receive payments and deposit using the divisional and the campus standard cash handling procedures on a weekly or more frequent basis.
- Review financial reports to identify incorrectly coded transactions and errors. Research discrepancies and identify mechanism for resolution.
- Enter and review/approve funding information in the payroll system. Prepare and enter transfers of budget and transfers of expense, including interlocation transfers. Maintain documentation supporting transfers to provide audit trail.
- Complete tasks for the annual fiscal close of accounts according to University guidelines and requirements. Maintain historical accounting records for audit purposes.
- Monitor purchasing card expenditures and respond to evidence of fraud or any misuse of purchasing cards as needed. Act as liaison with the campus Financial Affairs office to help resolve purchasing card policy/procedure compliance issues.
15% - Customer Service
- Provide advice and assistance on the policies and procedures pertaining to the administration of funds. Make recommendations for the resolution of problems and devise strategies for the optimal usage of funds. Provide training in the use of lnfoView generated reports for budgetary review and in business process changes.
- For academic units, provide assistance in fiscal decision-making. Assist unit managers with budgetary and expenditure forecasts, identifying potential shortfalls and increased expenses. Provide monthly, quarterly, and ad hoc support and research. Identify issues and recommend alternative solutions. Effectively communicate course fee policy changes and timelines for proposals and required reporting.
- Support revenue-based unit managers by preparing and disseminating regular financial reports. Provide analytical assistance as needed to unit managers in their efforts to analyze income and costs to determine a need to propose changes to existing miscellaneous and recharge rates. Support analyses to determine viability of establishing new miscellaneous and recharge rates. Effectively communicate timelines for proposals and/or required campus reporting, policy changes, and support units in audit compliance.
- Liaise between unit personnel and divisional administration for matters involving budgetary adjustments, changes or requests for additional funding by reviewing and analyzing requests for impact on overall budget, identifying any potential ramifications or problematic areas, and analyze impacts on staffing and operational needs. Make recommendations that maximize use of additional resources or minimize impact of cuts.
- Actively cultivate and maintain skills in divisional resources accounting and financial management. Participate in campus training opportunities, seminars and conferences as appropriate.
- May serve as Division representative on campus committees, workgroups, etc. as needed to glean information on business process and budgetary/financial policy changes to effectively support divisional units.
3% - Fiscal Analysis
- Work closely with Divisional Resources Manager and Dean's Office to provide information pertinent to impacts on unit budgets when budget adjustments are made or proposed. Provide options for implementing funding changes, including analysis of impacts on staffing and operational needs, and recommend changes to minimize impact of cuts or maximize use of additional resources.
- Provide monthly, quarterly, and ad hoc reports and information to support course fee, miscellaneous fee, and recharge rate decision-making. Verify appropriateness of proposed fees and rates for consistency with budget and policy guidelines and compliance with compliance with Federal and University regulations. Identify issues and recommend alternative solutions.
- Provide analytical support and complete special projects as assigned. Determine appropriate sources of data and information. Analyze data, advise and recommend action as appropriate.
2% - Efficiency and Business Process Improvements
- Assist in evaluating business processes, tasks, and financial reporting for improvement, including identifying problem areas areas and tasks with potential for automation. Engage in improvement planning, testing and providing feedback on improvements. Liaise with units to glean feedback on issues with existing processes and reports; seek feedback from customers on improvements to measure success of improvement with the goal of successful outcomes.
- Document existing and new divisional fiscal policies and procedures and effectively communicate with colleagues.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Proven ability using spreadsheet and database software for complex financial analysis, fiscal management, and financial reports.
- Proven critical thinking skills and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to analyze and anticipate situations, define problems and objectives, recognize alternatives and formulate solutions in a wide variety of contexts.
- Ability to independently gather required information to organize and perform financial analysis assignments.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities. Demonstrated flexibility, excellent organizational and detail-oriented skills, ability to prioritize workload and work independently, completing a high volume of work and a variety of tasks accurately, meeting deadlines with frequent interruptions or distractions.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Proven interpersonal skills with peers throughout the organization and strong service orientation. Ability to function as a member of a team and ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with diverse groups of faculty, staff, and students.
- Substantial experience in financial operations including accounting, analysis, planning, budgeting and fiscal control. Thorough knowledge and understanding of internal control practices and their impact on protecting University resources.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to summarize issues, produce reports, make presentations, conduct training programs, and facilitate meetings with customers.
- Ability to interpret and apply complex University, Federal and State granting agency policies and procedures.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.