Queens Public Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Our mission is to transform lives by cultivating personal and intellectual growth and by building strong communities. Queens Public Library welcomes innovators and leaders to contribute to a long history and dynamic future of serving the most diverse county in the United States. Queens Public Library is a private, non-profit corporation with 1,700 employees serving 66 locations.
Within the larger scope of formal and non-formal learning of the Queens Public Library’s (QPL’s) Programs & Services Department (PSD) and reporting to the Vice President of Programs & Services, the Director of Strategic Planning & Operations for Programs and Services leads the division and supports the Directors, Assistant Directors, Coordinators and other members of the team in the ideation, planning, and implementation of formal and non-formal programmatic initiatives for customers of all ages, helping to realize the strategic goals of the Vice President and advance QPL’s mission.
The Director of Strategic Planning & Operations for Programs and Services is a new position within the department and will serve as one of three key directors within PSD interfacing with all internal departments, with an emphasis on Community Library Services, Office of Organizational Assessment, Finance, Information & Technology (ITD), Health & Safety & Risk Management, Human Resources, Queens Public Library Foundation (QPLF), as well as with external partners. As part of a team of professionals dedicated to enhancing and expanding the Library’s programs and services, the Director of Strategic Planning & Operations for Programs and Services will work closely with the Director of Programming and the Director of Community Learning for PSD to advance inter-departmental and external programmatic collaborations.
Under the direction of the Vice President of Programs and Services, the Director of Strategic Planning & Operations for Programs and Services will serve as the resource and research arm contributing to ongoing thought leadership and perspective regarding ways to plan, expand, and implement new and existing innovative programmatic initiatives; evaluate, create and monitor internal business practices such as quality, timeliness, and consistency with a goal towards establishing a more cohesive, streamlined approach for delivering Community Library Services and PSD programs; work to enhance communication, information sharing and internal decision making processes; provide support in identifying, pursuing and cultivating strategic partnerships with educational and cultural organizations complimentary to PSD’s strategic and programmatic goals.
The Director of Strategic Planning & Operations for Programs and Services must possess a sensitivity and commitment towards ensuring an equitable distribution of programs and services throughout the branches of the QPL system. Performs other duties as assigned.
Strategic & Operational Objectives
- Works with the Vice President and directors to conceptualize and implement a more cohesive, impact-oriented, and mission-consistent system-wide strategy for programs.
- Works with the directors to uncover operational needs and objectives, identify areas where service design can add value to help directors in PSD and CLS improve their ability to plan and operate delivery of programs and services to customers.
- Creates policies and procedures necessary to address operational needs and oversees training if needed.
- Ensures programmatic excellence through research (best practices), development and implementation of innovative performance and outcome measurements.
- Responsible for embedding diversity, equity and inclusion best practices and assessment as part of the strategy to optimize results of program design and operations.
- Communicates and coordinates activities with other departments as a senior management team member to achieve organizational goals and successfully implement customer-focused, outcome-based programs and services.
- In conjunction with the Vice President, monitors and oversees progress on special projects and initiatives related to department and system-wide strategic goals. For example, working with the department and key stakeholders to achieve a workable and successful balance between offering both onsite and virtual programming.
- Serves as key liaison to Queens Public Library Foundation (QPLF) to ensure that ongoing communication mechanisms are in place and implemented in order to meet upcoming goals and deadlines.
- Collaborates with Finance and ITD to improve current and future systems, databases and platforms designed to support various streams of internal and external work such as SAP, LAMPS, new Vendor/Presenter Platform, etc.
- Represents programmatic needs throughout the design, construction and renovation of projects and provides regular updates for the department. Responsibilities will include participating in the analysis and development of functional and space needs for programs.
- Coordinates PSD’s responses to organizational reports, such as the New York State Education Department Annual Report for Public & Association Libraries.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Recruits and maintains a creative, skilled and dedicated team of professionals to coordinate the work of cross-functional teams focusing on developing and implementing strategic and tactical plans leading to high quality delivery of services for our internal and external customers.
- Through research and resources, contributes to the department’s program ideation, development, and implementation of services.
- Offers training and provides appropriate professional development to build their competencies and skillsets.
- Ensures that all performance assessments are timely completed.
- Works on ways to promote and foster an environment in which proactive thinking and creativity are encouraged and rewarded.
- Works to establish mechanisms that will ensure regular and timely updates across the department to promote cross-pollination of ideas, knowledge-building and resource-sharing, including regular department-wide meetings and annual retreats.
- Conducts follow-up with internal and external programmatic stakeholders, and any additional relevant correspondence.
- Works with the Marketing and Communications Department to develop new and creative strategies designed to enhance the promotion of QPL’s programs and services.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in program management and experience in developing and evaluating program models.
- Must be an experienced and strong project manager (both a strategist and an executor able to operate at a high level), detail-oriented, able to prioritize and manage multiple projects with the ability to meet deadlines and perform under pressure.
- Ability to design, select and successfully operationalize new initiatives. Can point to tangible experience building something from the ground up.
- Proficient in using technology as a management tool and experience developing and implementing program evaluation systems.
- Knowledge of public and private grants development and management is required.
- Strong budget management experience, including familiarity with state and local funding sources.
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory, planning and organizational skills required.
- Highly self-motivated and driven by a strong work ethic to take initiative to drive improvements and achieve goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to build a positive rapport and collaborate cross-functionally with people of diverse backgrounds and levels of seniority in a multi-faceted organization.
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills that can engage, inspire, build credibility and engender trust among different constituencies, including participants and staff.
- Highly adaptable with the ability to thrive in ambiguous or uncertain environments.
- Computer proficiency and expertise in M.S. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and related technology skills, including familiarity with using digital platforms such as WebEx, Microsoft Teams, and Streamyard.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration and/or Nonprofit Management & Policy, or related field preferred. In-house experience in a strategic/operations role preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License.
TO APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter to Execsearch@queenslibrary.org and reference “Director of Strategic Planning & Operations for Programs and Services - EXTERNAL” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.