The Hunger Project (THP) is a global non-profit organization whose mission is to end hunger and poverty by pioneering sustainable, grassroots, women-centered strategies and advocating for their widespread adoption in countries throughout the world. We operate in 22 countries with 330 staﬀ and have mobilized hundreds of thousands of volunteer leaders worldwide. Our programs throughout Africa, South Asia and Latin America are based on an innovative, holistic approach, which empowers women and men living in rural villages to become the agents of their own development and make sustainable progress in overcoming hunger and poverty.
Current Hunger Project oﬀice locations include:
USA: Global functions and US Fundraising functions are primarily located in New York City and Washington DC, as well as in multiple home oﬀices.
13 Program Countries: Bangladesh, Benin, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Malawi, Mexico, Mozambique, Peru, Senegal, Uganda, Zambia.
9 Partner Countries: Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.
The Grants and Contracts Manager (GCM) will be responsible for grants budgeting, compliance within grants, and contract review and management. The GCM will work closely with the US institutional fundraising and finance teams and link with THP's internal global funding management function. The GCM will support the development of budgets for the US and other country oﬀices, analyze contracts, track expenditures, draw up financial reports and advise the program team on follow-up of audit reports and financial reports. Further, the GCM will support grant management by providing income and expenditure forecasts to support grant writing and management. The GCM will work closely with the global staﬀ to support the integration of financial data within The Hunger Project budget platform and database, ensuring accurate information is available for stakeholders throughout the system. The GCM will use his/her knowledge of complex funding institutions (e.g. USAID, UN Agencies, etc.) to support nuanced and attractive funding proposals while giving adequate attention to compliance matters. The Grants and Contracts Manager will have the opportunity to learn and also share his/her/their unique capacity with the larger global team.
This full-time position is based out of THP’s oﬀice in New York City, with a strong preference for candidates based in the Washington DC or NYC areas. The position reports to the Director of New Business Development and is exempt from overtime. Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Essential function 1: Managing the administration of the grant cycle
- Manage administration of the grant cycle from application to closing, coordinating eﬀorts across global function teams and program teams to support grant compliance across all Ensure grants or contracts are well administered and that all stakeholders are informed of relevant funder compliance regulations to support on-track, on-time, and on-budget implementation. Develop internal processes for grants management as needed. Develop and review subaward templates and tools, prepare assessments, monitoring plans, and adjust as needed.
Essential function 2: Ensuring compliance
- Ensure compliance with approved program/project budgets and spending policies, and initiate improved policies and systems regarding spending guidelines, cost allocation, and annual Collaborate with program staﬀ for revisions, modifications and budget realignments, approving these and presenting to funders if necessary. Work closely with program staﬀ in development and input into comprehensive annual program budgets incorporating funding from restricted / loosely restricted funding sources.
Essential function 3: External reporting
- Manage external reporting to ensure timely delivery of high-quality reports which meet Ensure quality information management related to reporting by overseeing the regular maintenance of grant files, reporting calendars, and updating internal documentation and grant management functions. Development, maintenance, and updates to the Grant and Contracts manual, tools, templates, policies, strategic operating procedures, and guidance documents for sub-award management and administration. Collaborate with program staﬀ in development and input into comprehensive annual program budgets.
Essential function 4: Capacity strengthening
- Conduct ongoing capacity strengthening of staﬀ in report writing, editing, and critical Provide capacity building for staﬀ in grants management, spending tracking, and compliance. Facilitate partner institutional capacity strengthening plans to ensure eﬀective, eﬀicient implementation of projects as needed.
- Participate in a collegial oﬀice environment including helping with oﬀice-wide initiatives outside of your own job
- Represent THP at external events, meetings and within
- Leverage network to support new partnerships in coordination with institutional fundraising
1. Education (Minimum Needed and Type of Degree Needed):
- Minimum Required: Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a major or minor in pre-law, finance, accounting or fields relating to international aﬀairs.
- Preferred: Masters’ degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Non-profit Management or related
2. Work Experience (Minimum needed)
- Minimum Required: 5+ years in a similar role
- Preferred: Non-profit setting with remote team structure, and experience in a fast-paced environment with a small global
3. Specialized Knowledge Needed for Job Performance
- Proficiency with Spreadsheets, and advance knowledge of Excel is required;
- Experience working with an integrated financial and project management system of an international development organization; experience with the development and implementation of such a system is a
- Experience with the preparation of budgets for applications in accordance with complex global guidelines and in collaboration with relevant
- Experience with US and/or other bi-lateral grant Experience with multilateral funders is also highly desirable.
- Experience with analyzing and writing
- Skills (e.g. Level of Judgment Required, Ability to Direct, Work Independently, Multi-Task, etc .):
- Sound judgment, able to troubleshoot problems, come up with creative solutions, while also identifying issues which need to be
- Project management
- Superior organization skills and attention to
- Resourceful self-starter with ability to independently multi-task and
- High level of comfort with new technologies, and able to quickly learn new
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills; ability to work with colleagues and partners nationally and
- Entrepreneurial, self-driven and results-oriented, with a positive
- Ability to adapt and work in a very flexible, fluid, and evolving
- High level of accuracy and attention to
- Special Skills (Technical or Advanced)
- High level of knowledge with Google Suite and
- Fluency in Spanish and or French
- Other (Communication Skills, Aptitudes, or Other Specific Skills or Abilities Required):
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural communication
- High level of
- Ability to work a varying schedule including nights, early mornings, weekends on
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, and work on multiple time zones, as
- Travel up to 15% post-pandemic.
- Experience working with diﬀerent countries and
- Commitment to THP’s values, including an understanding of and compatibility with our principles and The successful candidate will be working with a team who loves what they are doing and feels it is a privilege to be working in service of this mission.
- Defined contribution for each staﬀ member to be spent on choice of authorized benefits including gold level medical, dental and vision, retirement or student
- 20 days paid leave to start, plus 9 holidays and 12 sick
- Progressive parental leave: 2 months’ full time pay, with 3-month gradual
- Flexible work hours and
- Retirement plan: gradual vesting in 401(a) Fund over 5 years. Match provided to 403(b) pre-tax
How to Apply
Please forward your letter of interest, resume, salary expectations for immediate consideration to Recruitmentoperations@thp.org . Please include “Grants and Contracts Manager'' in the subject line of your email.