Overview of the position:
This position will supervise a team of 4 staff members and 3 temporary HR professionals. The main functions of this position are providing leadership for enhanced recruiting and workforce development, employee relations, implementation of MCS procedures, promotion and support of health, wellness and safety programs as well as developing and implementing departmental standard operating procedures , practices and policies for the HR Unit which supports the Austin Public Health Department with 525 employees as well as a large contingent workforce of temporaries.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Determines goals, objectives, and resource requirements for human resource programs and activities.
2. Develops, implements, administers, and evaluates human resource processes for a variety of human resources projects and programs.
3. Participates in the preparation, monitoring, and implementation of the departmental budget, recommends and justifies capital expenditures.
4. Provides human resource advice, consultation, and problem solving to all areas of human resources.
5. Identifies personnel support needs through meetings, discussions, analysis, and review of information.
6. Assigns projects sets schedules, and monitors task completion for timeliness, accuracy, and effectiveness.
7. Investigates and responds to complaints from managers and employees, and makes recommendations.
8. Analyzes human resource problems, gathers and organizes data, prepares reports, and/or documents.
9. Participates in ongoing education as it relates to human resources, the operations of the city, and/or its departments.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissalKnowledge, Skills and AbilitiesMust possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.EEO/ADACity of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.