Dia Art Foundation was established in 1974 for the purpose of collecting, commissioning, and presenting major works of art made in the 1960s onward. Today it consists of eight permanent sites across the United States and Germany, as well as three changing exhibition spaces in New York State: Dia Chelsea in New York City, Dia Beacon in the Hudson Valley, and Dia Bridgehampton on Long Island. Dia is taken from the Greek word for “through” and conveys the foundation’s role as a facilitator of meaningful artistic experiences that can be encountered in single and repeated visits.
Dia Art Foundation seeks an experienced and talented Digital Communications Specialist to join the team. This is a full-time position based at Dia’s offices in New York City.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing, this position is responsible for the day-to-day management of digital communications activity, including website content management, social media content, video content schedules, special social media initiatives, the development of new digital initiatives, email campaigns, and social media marketing. This role works closely with all departments at Dia, particularly the Curatorial, Learning and Engagement, Graphics, Publications, and Visitor Services teams. The Digital Communications Specialist will collaborate interdepartmentally to create content, assist with requests, and widely implement institutional strategy across digital channels.
Dia is committed to creating an increasingly equitable and sustainable environment, as well as offering audiences richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning. Dia seeks to recruit and retain a diverse and mutually engaged team as a reflection of this commitment.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage website content including copy, images, and multimedia assets for Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Ensure the quality of webpages by copyediting, proofreading, and maintaining consistency, following Dia’s internal house style in consultation with the Publications department
- Ensure accurate image captions on the website and in the digital archive
- Coordinate with all departments to maintain timelines and ensure content and information is updated regularly
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Information Technology and Director of Communications and Marketing to execute branding and website architecture updates
- Create website content for new programs as needed
- Manage the day-to-day operations of social media platforms (including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter); write, edit, and post content across all platforms daily
- Maintain accuracy and the institutional voice according to the in-house style guide across all channels, develop audience engagement, and grow attendance across all sites and programming
- Work closely with all departments to create engaging and dynamic social media content, including Instagram Lives and Stories
- Monitor and evaluate new developments in social media and marketing; make recommendations for new initiatives, digital strategies, campaigns, and platforms
- Serve as Dia’s primary spokesperson for online community management; monitor and respond to comments, public feedback, and inquiries on social media in coordination with the Director of Communications and Marketing
- Develop and oversee the production of content for Instagram Live, working with other departments to engage with voices outside of the institution
- Develop content for Instagram Stories, introducing new series and engaging with other departments’ contributions
- Oversee Dia’s Social Media Style Guide
- Assess growth strategies annually, keeping up with the best practices as algorithms evolve
- Work with the Director of Communications and Marketing to develop and execute digital marketing campaigns for social media advertising
- Coordinate, edit, build, and distribute outbound email campaigns to support programs and initiatives, including monthly e-newsletters and membership and event promotions; maintain email campaign calendar and schedule
- Create and implement strategies to develop and refine email marketing programs
- Conduct routine maintenance and cleanup of communications mailing list
- Design digital marketing assets
- Redesign digital materials as needed, working closely with Dia’s Senior Graphic Designer
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversee and schedule photography for all public programs
- Create quarterly metric reports to track social media and newsletter reach
- Utilize analytic tools to measure campaign growth and success
- Track Dia media and social media coverage and relevant cultural news; compile regular media roundups for senior staff
- Manage Dia Blog; maintain content calendar; work with other departments to produce content
- Manage Artist Playlists; work with other departments to engage with contributors; create and upload playlists to the website and blog
- Oversee production timelines for video content
- Ensure that Dia’s original digital content and all public-facing digital communications reflect our values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility
- Manage Dia’s presence on external digital platforms including Bloomberg Connects
- Complete other marketing and communications functions, as assigned
Education, Certifications, Experience:
- BA in related field (art history, communications, liberal arts) or equivalent experience required
- At least 4 years of experience working in communications or digital media, preferably at a museum, nonprofit, or contemporary art space
- Experience working with CMS and HTML
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- An understanding of the principles of UX design (user-centered)
- Knowledge of best practices for digital communications and social media required
- Experience in video content production preferred
- Proven proficiency in growing social media followings and creating engaging social media content
- Photoshop skills required; InDesign skills preferred
- Proven knowledge of digital analytic tools
- Excellent written, editorial, and communication skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Working knowledge of design terminology, materials, and methods required
- Ability to present oneself professionally, diplomatically, and comfortably with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Strong project management skills and excellent organizational skills
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Must be able to work occasional nights and weekends and travel to Dia Beacon as needed
- Prolonged periods of sitting and use of computers and standard office equipment is required to accomplish work objectives
Please note that to provide a safe workplace free of recognized hazards and to take every possible step to reduce the transmission of COVID among our employees, Dia Art Foundation requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination upon hire, except for those who obtain an exemption due to a medical condition, a religious belief, or pregnancy.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by emailing a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com with “Digital Communications Specialist” as the subject heading.
Dia provides a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package with significant employer contributions towards the cost of healthcare premiums. The 401(k) plan provides 100% employer match up to 4% of the employee’s deferral and immediate vesting. Paid time‐off benefits include three weeks of vacation, ten days of sick leave, thirteen holidays, and a generous parental leave program. Work-related travel expenses are fully covered. Additionally, staff ID badges gain reduced or free admission to most American museums and arts organizations.
Dia Art Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in its employment policies. In addition, Dia will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and supports a neurodiverse workplace.