ABOUT STERNE SCHOOL
Sterne School provides full-day instruction to lower school and high school students. The school’s mission is to build on the foundation of individual strengths to discover and nurture each student’s version of greatness. We believe that academic support is a part of, not an exception to, an excellent everyday school experience.
The Director of Development is responsible for overseeing all fundraising activities and creating and implementing strategy for the development office. The Director of Development is responsible for completing Phase III of a capital campaign project. The goal for Phase III is $7M of which approximately 48% has been raised. The Director of Development manages the Development Associate, a position that is currently vacant. The Director of Development may develop this position and hire for this job as they see fit. In addition, a Database Administrator serves as cross-departmental support for Development; consulting support may be granted as-needed, based on departmental needs.
For more information, please visit www.sterneschool.org.
The Director of Development reports directly to the Head of School and is a member of the senior administrative team.
- Work with the Board, staff, and volunteers to complete the capital campaign.
- Oversee all Campaign events and activities
- Work with the Head of School and Campaign leadership to implement timeline and strategy for Phase III of multi-million dollar building campaign, with focus on gymnasium & performing arts center,
- Cultivate Campaign Steering Committee and recruit additional volunteer leadership,
- In collaboration with Marketing Director and Marketing Specialist, oversee development of all Campaign collateral and materials, including brochures, letters of agreement, web copy and more
- Initiate meetings with lead donors, and/or pair prospects with Board members and other key solicitors using the Sterne School Capital Campaign Plan and supporting materials
- Prepare and launch public phase of campaign, when appropriate, including town hall meetings, individual meetings, kickoff or ribbon-cutting events, and letters / emails / other messaging.
- Manage key foundation and corporate grants activities including a grants calendar, reporting, grant renewal, and building a timeline for new funding.
- Research new sources of funding and conduct outreach to prospective funders. Attend Campaign Committee / Campaign Steering meetings.
- Work with staff and Board members to manage a robust major giving program and maintain moves management for all major donors and prospects.
- Oversee major giving for the annual fund and maintain moves management spreadsheet for major donors and prospects
- Collaborate with Marketing department for creation of fundraising materials including brochures, Annual Report & Magazine, campaign reports, email campaigns, videos, etc.
- Represent the development department to Sterne’s internal and external communities.
- Implement a planned giving program.
- Collaborate with Marketing department for brochures, annual report & magazine, campaign reports, email campaigns, videos, etc.
- Serve as primary board liaison for school development activities, and support the Board and Head of School in considering the role of fundraising in the long-range plan lines of dialogue with parent association leadership as it relates to volunteer recruitment (annual fund and event volunteers) and parent communications
- Collaborate with Leadership Team, Senior Administration, and teachers to create community-centered events and activities
- Effectively use Blackbaud NXT to manage and track fundraising data and drive strategy
- Prepare strategic, data-driven reports for monthly Board meetings
- Support school-sponsored fundraising activities, including attending and working at all fundraising events stewarding key volunteers (Annual Fund Class Captains, Gala Committee)
- Ten years or more progressively challenging line fundraising experience with three to five years staff management experience
- Strong capital campaign experience, including strategy and implementation
- Independent school experience a plus
- A proven track record of progressively challenging fundraising success, including in annual fund, annual event, major gifts, planned giving and capital campaigns
- Vision, creativity, flexibility, and the capacity to execute the school and department’s strategic plan
- Strong major gifts experience
- Database (CRM) and general technology experience and utility required – Raiser’s Edge NXT experience strongly preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong and demonstrated experience leading and engaging all stakeholders – trustees, colleagues, parents, students, alumni, other donors, partners, and volunteers
- Actively engage in professional development and remain current on best practices
- Sensitivity, discretion, and a sense of humor
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple responsibilities simultaneously, including competing demands
- Commitment to the mission of Sterne School
The salary range for this position is $160,000 to $170,000 plus full healthcare and retirement benefits and a transportation stipend.
To demonstrate our commitment to equity and equal pay for all, Cook Silverman Search will continue to post salary ranges on all of its job descriptions moving forward. The practice of not posting salaries perpetuates the gender wage gap and discriminates against people of color by causing individuals to negotiate from a disadvantaged starting point.
To apply for this position, or for additional information on the opportunity, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to Victoria Silverman at email@example.com.
All applications and inquiries will receive a response and be kept strictly confidential.
Sterne School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.