Vitamix is unquestionably the premium brand of high-performance “blenders,” but if you talk to people that own one, they rarely refer to it that way. It’s a “Vitamix” and is often considered as a piece of culinary ‘fitness equipment’ that is a critical part of a daily health routine and more broadly, a healthy way of life. And, it comes in a multitude of colors that allows anyone to match it to their other kitchen appliances - you don’t put it away, you show it off. Who knew fitness could taste this good?!
For consumers, Vitamix can be found domestically in places like William Sonoma, Sur la Table, Crate & Barrel, Target, Amazon, and at Vitamix.com. But with offices in the US and UK, Vitamix is found in over 130 countries around the world.
Ultimately, Vitamix is the Global-leader in high-performance blending solutions for home and commercial use, is preferred by more chefs than any other brand and is found in the top 50 restaurants in the world. It is relied upon by over 150 culinary schools in the US and has been used to train more than 52,000 students and master chefs worldwide. If it is not a Vitamix, it’s just a blender.
Vitamix is seeking a Sr. Engineering Manager, Product Platforms that will lead Engineering teams in the development, maintenance, and deployment of key product platforms that deliver to the established performance, quality, and reliability standards representative of the Vitamix brand. The Product Platforms Engineering Manager successfully delivers prioritized programs by properly allocating resources and leading the Product Platforms team through all technical aspects of the product development process including scoping, concept feasibility, should costing, design for reliability, testing & qualification, and implementation into production. S/he ultimately helps increase and/or retain market share through the development and launch of high quality, customer-centric designed products and by embracing Vitamix’s purpose, mission and values.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead Engineering teams to successfully develop and deploy product platforms according to the operational plan. Execute programs on-time and within budget.
- Drive platform consolidation and component standardization efforts across portfolio of products.
- Drive differentiated value creation throughout our product platforms. Lead competitive assessments, should cost modeling and performance analysis across portfolio. Align product features, benefits, and variable costs to market position and ensure projects are prioritized and scoped accordingly.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Product Management to translate our differentiated value story into commercial collateral. Routinely interact with the sales team and key customers to understand their needs, answer product questions and tell our story. Become the trusted advisor internally and externally for our product platforms.
- Collaborate with Sales, Product Management, Engineering and Operations to develop annual operating plans and product roadmaps that achieve short and long-term business objectives.
- Drive culture of speed, agility, transparency and accountability. Empower cross-functional teams to deliver new product development programs through collaboration and metrics alignment.
- Champion the development and implementation of new tools and methodologies across platforms team for System Design, Predictive Modeling, Design for Reliability, Design for Manufacturing and Assembly, and Should Cost. Drive teams to consistently and efficiently deliver against program commitments.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement with any new project, utilizing warranty feedback, labor reporting, safety statistics, material cost, etc.
- Provides technical support to sales, engineering, production and quality throughout the project to ensure critical elements are achieved.
- Manages and leads direct reports, including hiring, coaching, mentoring, performance management, and development.
The ideal candidate will also possess:
- Alignment with Vitamix’s culture and CORE which defines its Purpose, Mission, and Values.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Expertise around Vitamix competencies: Accountability, Strategic Vision, Business Acumen, Critical Thinking, Leads for High Performance, Decisiveness, Resourcefulness, Prioritization.
- Knowledge of project management techniques and tools.
- Knowledge of NPD methodology and tools, particularly stage-gate.
- Possesses and displays excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to convey information in a clear, focused and concise manner
- Strong people leadership including setting a vision, motivating people toward it and the delivery of exceptional results under tough conditions.
- Ability to present technical information in business-friendly and user-friendly language to non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to interface and maintain effective relationships with all levels of employees in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to shift priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coordinate, and manage complex projects
- Ability to build consensus and decision making through influence.
- 15 years’ related experience, with at least 10 years of technical management experience
- 5 years’ experience in a project management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering required.