Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Under broad oversight, responsible for profitability, growth, and retention of business within an assigned territory/territories that is consistent with overall business unit objectives. Responsible for managing a group of Account Executives, in a location(s). Responsibilities typically include: Overseeing the underwriting of new and renewal business for a territory/location(s). Working with RVP, implements business strategies to effectively achieve profit and growth objectives for assigned territory/location(s). Manages a team of Account Executives, and possibly, Managing Account Executive(s). Has the overall responsibility for all aspects of their territory. Implements strategies aligned with business unit objectives that grow and retain a profitable book of business. Staff management functions include, but are not limited to, coaching, training, planning and performance management in a supportive, team oriented, collaborative manner. The incumbent in this job is a manager.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting and Pricing:
- Participates in the development of strategic business plans that are designed to increase the business units presence in the market, retain the appropriate mix of business and achieve business objectives.
- Implements business strategies to effectively achieve business objectives for assigned locations.
Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages local strategies, objectives and tactics concerning relationships with brokers and agencies.
- Practices and promotes behaviors inherent to a successful consultative marketing/ sales culture.
- Negotiates the most complex, at risk, or hard to close deals as needed.
- Identifies creative solutions to complex issues that satisfy all parties.
Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Demonstrates leadership by providing strategic direction and support to staff.
- Drives efforts to achieve quality results and promotes a spirit of always doing the right thing on behalf of the enterprise and the business.
Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Effectively drives a collaborative business approach and fosters enterprise wide solutions to local business issues.
- Encourages others to seek solutions to business problems that optimize the results and performance across the Enterprise.
- In addition to leading self, effectively manages all facets of staff performance in to achieve business objectives.
- Proactively recruits for talent and acquires high caliber people with a diversity of skills and backgrounds.
- Manages performance and provides honest, constructive feedback.
- Provides tangible rewards for significant achievements. Clearly differentiates rewards for top performers.
- Delegates authority, responsibility and accountability to produce results and motivate and develop others.
- Identifies and removes barriers to effective interactions across the business unit.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 6 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Typically has 8-10 years of relevant Account Executive experience.
- Previous commercial accounts underwriting experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Prior management of a field location preferred.
- Exhibits a thorough understanding of global insurance trends, industry/ customer based trends and enterprise wide business and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
- Effectively applies this knowledge to manage local business goals and objectives