Annual Salary Range: $89,960 to $139,438
(Classification: Communications Manager)
First Review of Applications: Friday, May 14, 2021 – Opened until filled
Expected Start Date: June/July 2021
The Manager of Public Information and Media will plan, supervise, manage, and oversee the activities and operations of the Public Information, Editorial, and Visual Communications teams. This position will coordinate communications, public information, social media strategies, programs, projects, and activities with other departments, the Board of Directors, Policy Advisory Committees, member agencies, outside organizations, stakeholders, and the public. This position will advise the Director of Strategic Communications, Senior Leadership Team, and the Executive Director on crisis communications and potential issues that may arise from proposed actions.
- Provide strategic communications advice to leadership on issues and situations that require coordinated efforts across political, community, and regional spectrums.
- Oversee public relations efforts and coordinate strategy for media interest in SANDAG programs and projects; anticipate the impact of news information and proactively manage and mitigate issues; ensure information released to the media/public are accurate, timely, transparent, and consistent with agency objectives.
- Prepare and write speaking points for Board members, executives, and senior staff for public meetings, television, radio and print interviews, public speaking engagements, and other Board-sponsored or community outreach events; serve as spokesperson for the agency and liaise between SANDAG and the media on matters of agency policy and public information.
- Coordinate internal and external communications for the agency by developing and directing media relations and public information assistance programs; coordinate press releases, news advisories, press conferences, and other special events with media interest; oversee responses to challenging inquiries from elected officials, news media, and the public.
- Oversee the agency’s website to ensure information and content are open and transparent; continuously monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the website; ensure information is provided in an efficient and timely manner to the public and stakeholders; identify opportunities for site improvements and oversee the implementation of changes; develop a budget and plan to routinely upgrade the website.
- Oversee the preparation and review of major SANDAG documents prior to publication including the Overall Work Program, Regional Transportation Plan, TransNet Annual Report, and other publications.
- Manage and coordinate the development, preparation, and implementation of a diverse range of communications plans; coordinate with the Manager of Outreach and Marketing to ensure consistent, equitable, inclusive, and diverse marketing plans, projects, and programs.
- Lead social media efforts and explore the possibilities of all platforms to develop a flexible public relations and marketing strategy to enhance and grow the agency’s social media reach throughout the region, state and nationally.
- Partner with the Manager of Outreach and Marketing to coordinate the planning and implementation of media, promotional, and special events including groundbreaking/ribbon cutting ceremonies, public workshops, and outreach events.
- Supervise, mentor, train, and provide career development opportunities for employees.
- Meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; coordinate work plans for project teams; review and evaluate work methods and procedures; review staff work when issues or challenges arise.
- Develop project plans, Requests for Proposals (RFPs), scopes of work, project deliverables, budgets, and schedules; participate in the selection of consultants and vendors; administer contracts and ensure projects progress on schedule, within the approved budget, and at a consistently high level of quality; ensure projects are completed in adherence to funding agency requirements.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree with major course work in journalism, communications, marketing, or a related field, and at least seven years of increasingly responsible, professional public information, public outreach, communications, journalism, or marketing experience, including two years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and coordinate public information, public involvement, and communications plans for a broad range of programs, services, and activities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective communications techniques and public relations; demonstrated ability to take initiative in identifying and meeting communications needs.
- Demonstrated familiarity with the agency’s political environment and sensitivities; ability to perform and function effectively within that environment; an understanding of recent developments and current trends related to regional planning is desirable.
- Demonstrated understanding of the practices and operations of news gathering and reporting organizations; experience arranging press conferences and securing media coverage to promote public understanding of projects; familiarity with regional information resources and local news media sources, including websites.
- Experience preparing individuals for public meetings, TV, radio, and print interviews, public speaking engagements, and other events; experience developing speeches, testimony, speaking points, and presentations appropriate to the audience; demonstrated experience planning and implementing various meetings and special events.
- Experience preparing and releasing information that is consistent with organizational policies and priorities; experience coordinating the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Successful project management experience including preparing budgets and schedules; developing grant proposals, RFPs, scopes of work, and contracts; experience evaluating proposals and selecting and managing consultants.
- Outstanding researching, writing, and editing skills; experience designing and writing engaging and compelling informational material for publication and presentation for a variety of audiences and purposes.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to prepare and deliver public presentations to Boards, community groups, and other audiences.
- Capacity to establish, maintain, and foster cooperative and collaborative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; ability to gain cooperation and consensus through discussion and persuasion.
- The selected candidate can anticipate a driving record check upon hire, and approximately annually thereafter. The results of the check may determine whether the selected candidate will be permitted to drive for SANDAG business.
Benefits and Salary
Our benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance as well as employee assistance, wellness, and work/life balance programs. Retirement and financial security benefits are provided through a pension plan and contribution to the SANDAG deferred compensation program. SANDAG offers flexible work schedules and employees are provided with paid time off and paid holidays. This position is being offered as an At-Will, employment contract opportunity.
Careers at SANDAG
A job at SANDAG is guaranteed to engage your mind, expand your skills, and enhance your professional development. We are committed to hiring talented individuals who are dedicated to working on important issues and enthusiastic about making significant contributions that improve the lives of people in the San Diego region.
How to Apply
We encourage interested candidates to apply for this position by completing a SANDAG Employment Application. Resumes, cover letters, and work samples may be submitted but are not a substitute for the Application.
The Employment Application can be downloaded from the SANDAG website or requested by emailing email@example.com or calling (619) 699-1900. Completed applications can be submitted via email, fax, or regular mail. See our Careers / How to Apply webpage for additional information.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), SANDAG will accommodate persons who require assistance in order to apply for a position at SANDAG. Applicants requiring an accommodation due to a disability during any stage of the recruitment and selection process, including requesting this document and related application materials in an alternative format, should make their needs known by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org, (619) 699-1900, (619) 699-1904 (TTY), or fax (619) 699-6905.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, applicants hired by SANDAG must show acceptable proof of identity and evidence of authorization to work in the United States.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Creative Writing, Editorial Writing, Journalism, Market Research, Marketing Communications, Media Planning and Buying, Product Marketing, Project Management, Strategic Planning, Technical Writing, Underwriter