Media Relations Lead - 92043
Organization: LD-Laboratory Directorate
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is seeking a Media Relations Lead to join the Strategic Communications Department. In this role, you will work with department staff, communications professionals from around the Lab, researchers, and Lab leadership to share and promote stories about the Lab’s research and people with key public audiences while serving as a resource to members of the news media.
Berkeley Lab is the home of world-class team science in service to the nation. The Strategic Communications Department shares and promotes the Lab’s scientific, institutional, and operational priorities with key audiences inside and outside the Lab and is responsible for coordinating all media relations activities for the Laboratory. Like all members of the department, you will draw from your expertise in the tactics of journalism, science communications, media relations, and public relations to help achieve organizational goals. You will continually seek to improve and innovate, providing resourcefulness and professionalism to enhance the quality and impact of the Lab’s communications program.
What You Will Do:
• Serve as a primary Berkeley Lab point of contact for, and build relationships with, members of the local, national, and international news media, including sharing story ideas with reporters and coordinating internally to respond to requests from reporters, often on deadline.
• Develop strategies to raise the profile of Berkeley Lab and its research among key, news-reading audiences and achieve increased coverage of the Lab’s scientific work.
• Work with department colleagues and Lab experts to identify, research, write, edit, package, and assist in the distribution of informative, compelling content.
• Stay informed of key achievements in selected scientific areas of the Lab and work with experts in those areas to develop communications strategies.
• Plan and manage visits by reporters or TV or film crews to the Lab, including hosting visits as needed. Plan and manage virtual news conferences.
• Coordinate with Lab leadership to respond rapidly and effectively to breaking or negative news about the Lab, and monitor and prepare to address institutional issues that could negatively affect the Lab’s reputation.
• Coordinate as needed with media relations colleagues throughout the Department of Energy and the national laboratory system.
• Manage reporting, notification, and coordination requirements with the Department of Energy and other funding and oversight agencies.
• Develop, coordinate, and maintain ongoing media training programs for key Lab personnel.
• Monitor the national and international news for relevant connections to Lab research.
• Back up other members of the department as needed by performing digital communications, web production, social media, and other duties.
• Serve as a representative and ambassador for the Strategic Communications Department.
What is Required:
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, English, or a science relevant to Berkeley Lab’s research and 8 years of combined experience in media relations and journalism; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience communicating about scientific research with non-science-trained audiences.
• Strong journalism-based research, interview, writing, and editing skills.
• Ability to work independently and within teams to achieve desired outcomes.
• Tech savvy and experience in the use of internal and external communications tools and channels (including social media and other relevant communication platforms).
• Effective project management skills with the ability to prioritize work assignments, work collaboratively with others, and adjust schedules based on changing requirements.
• Demonstrated experience protecting confidential and private information.
• Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in a complex organization.
• Existing relationships with the news media and a track record of serving as a resource to reporters.
• Experience as a media relations professional within a national laboratory or other science-based organization(s).
• For full consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter by February 26, 2021.
• This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
• This position is subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the California Political Reform Act of 1974. The successful candidate for this position will be required to file financial interest statements upon assuming this position, annually while holding this position, and when leaving this position.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=193579 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.