- Work Department: Payroll
- Class Title/Code: https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/Detail.aspx?tblClassIndexID=1998 (4069)
- Effective Date: Feb 5, 2021
This position functions primarily as an administrator who provides leadership and direction for University payroll operations. This position is responsible for creating a customer service culture to support a University population of 5,000+ faculty, staff and student employees. This position develops and controls all tasks necessary to accomplish the organization's objectives and facilitates relationships with University employees and departments, internal and external auditors, vendors, regulatory agencies and non-University groups. This position provides additional support for an Assistant Comptroller.
- Manages payroll operations ensuring compliance with all regulatory agencies as well as collective bargaining agreements.
- Develops a thorough understanding of the capabilities and shortcomings of existing automated payroll systems and applications. Serves as the primary liaison with programmers to facilitate changes/upgrades to the payroll system. Identifies system problems and takes the necessary corrective action. Identifies system changes for compliance with regulatory agencies. Trains staff members on system changes/upgrades. Recommends changes to user screens. Identifies IT risk areas and takes action to mitigate risk.
- Provides leadership and direction in the resolution of complex payroll problems requiring consistent discretion and independent judgment. Serves as a coordination point for all campus constituencies seeking assistance with payroll issues.
- Writes reports to extract information from databases for use by payroll operations, University departments, external users and regulatory agencies.
- Serves as liaison with internal and external audits related to payroll including work paper preparation and responses to auditors' inquiries.
- Identifies and implements opportunities for ongoing business process improvement to improve accuracy and efficiency of operations to include improving internal control.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures. Responsible for ongoing review and analysis of policies and procedures. This incorporates the responsibility for analysis of current procedures as related to changing federal and state laws, reduction/elimination of unnecessary administrative processes and to improve business processes.
- Manages detailed review of operations to include purchasing decisions and personnel/space utilization.
- Participates on committees as a representative for areas within the scope of the Division of Business Services.
- Developes orientation and training materials for University employees and departments.
- Acts for the Assistant Comptroller when absent.
- Required Qualifications:
- Possession of credential requirements listed for the Assistant Payroll Manager
- Three years of payroll experience, all of which included performing duties comparable to those listed for the Assistant Payroll Manager OR Certified Payroll Professional designation OR Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a related business curriculum (such as accounting, business administration, finance, economics, or management sciences)
- Starting Salary: $4103/month
- Application Deadline: Feb 19, 2021
Employment - Information & Instructions
Complete an https://www.student.services.wiu.edu/web-apps/HR/ online. Submit supplemental application materials, including copies of official academic transcripts and a current resume, via email to HR-Testing@wiu.edu.
All application materials, including completed application, transcripts, and resume, are due in the WIU Human Resources Office no later than 4:30 p.m. the day of the application deadline.
Western Illinois University is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity and a non-discrimination policy that includes sex, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, religion, age, marital status, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
For questions regarding the application process, please contact:
Human Resources Office
Sherman Hall 105
1 University Circle
Macomb, IL 61455
Phone: (309) 298-1971 ext. 1
Fax: (309) 298-2300
Open: Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.