Amsted Rail has an immediate opening for a Payroll Administrator at its operation in Granite City, Illinois.
Amsted Rail is the world’s leading provider of fully integrated bogie systems for the heavy haul freight market, with facilities spanning 40 locations across 10 countries and 6 continents. Through their state-of-the-art manufacturing processes, Amsted Rail is redefining industry standards for innovation and technology, providing customers worldwide with unmatched performance and reliability for the long haul.
The Payroll Administrator responsibilities include reviewing payroll data and payroll documents for inefficiencies and errors, checking whether all amounts are accurate based on hours worked and ensuring payments are processed timely. A successful candidate will have excellent analytical skills along with the ability to spot numerical errors. Ultimately, this position will help maintain an efficient payroll process that complies with all federal and state regulations.
- Process multi-state weekly, bi-weekly, and semi-monthly payrolls for over 2000 employees in both the United States and Canada
- Analyze compensation – related data including wages and bonuses
- Deep functional expertise and understanding of state and federal payroll and tax regulations
- Maintain appropriate documentation to substantiate data entry requests
- Assists with gathering data for internal and external auditing of payroll policies and procedures
- Document and implement procedures to streamline payroll processes
- Create process and training documentation as well updating existing documentation
- Report to management on any payroll issues and changes
- Stay current on state and federal payroll and tax laws for US and Canada
- Utilizes analytical and problem-solving skills to research issues, perform root cause analysis, and make recommendations for changes
- Assists with special projects as needed
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Associates Degree in Finance /HR or 3+ years comparable experience
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office Suite and SAP or other financial software
- Ability to multi-task and work under various conditions that may include frequent interruptions
- Experience using Ultimate Software and/or Kronos timekeeping, or a similar HR system
- Must demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills and can prioritize work, with an emphasis on the accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Must be capable of working and performing independent of direct supervision.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Proven experience as a Payroll Administrator, Payroll Coordinator or similar role
- Working knowledge of account reconciliations and general ledger processes
- Instills trust with others through personal communication style, approachability, professionalism, accuracy and follow-through on commitments and deadlines
- Deep functional expertise to ensure depth of understanding of state and federal payroll and tax regulations
- Current knowledge of state and federal payroll and tax laws for US and Canada
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills coupled with a strong sense of employee customer service and uses positive reinforcement in conflict resolution or employee concerns
- High degree of organizational skills with an eye toward improving processes and methods of work, leveraging automation and technology to simplify and drive consistency
- Thrives on using technology to automate and optimize tasks to ensure time is spent on more value-added activities
- Excellent mathematical/analytical skills with the ability to analyze complex data
WORKING FOR AMSTED RAIL
We are a privately held, 100% employee-owned company! As an Amsted Rail employee, you are an owner. Our commitment to employee’s professional satisfaction includes creating space and opportunities to be creative and an integral part of our innovation journey and business success; for employee’s personal fulfillment, we invest in everyone’s growth and development while ensuring a work environment that values them as an individual, with their unique set of strengths and beliefs.