Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 9306
Initial Review Date (IRD)
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this position is: 08-24-2020
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
Dept Marketing Statement
As the campus Chief Academic Officer and Chief Operations Officer, the Campus Provost/Executive Vice Chancellor (CP/EVC) is responsible for providing vision and guidance to campus senior leaders as they work to fulfill our campus mission and attain our strategic goals.
The CP/EVC works closely with the Chancellor and the campus leadership team to engage faculty in the creation of a vibrant academic and research vision, infuse an entrepreneurial spirit to the creation of new sources of revenue, provide focused leadership to support student success, and assure a campus commitment to serving first-generation college students and a diverse student population. The CP/EVC provides leadership in the areas of the campus academic, capital, enrollment and financial planning, policy analysis, and fiscal administration; creating a vision for faculty, student and staff programs that engage and support the campus.
The CP/EVC organization is dynamic, with priorities and issues that evolve and change daily. The team is committed to collaboration, the use of digital tools to create efficiencies, in the moment reprioritization and creating a collegial, optimistic and forward-facing environment.
As representatives of the CP/EVC, all members of the immediate staff are expected to model the UC Santa Cruz Principles of Community in their interactions with senior leaders, faculty, students and staff at all levels of the organization, with colleagues throughout the UC system and in their interactions with agencies, organizations and individuals outside of the UC system. For more information, see here:https://cpevc.ucsc.edu/
Involves providing administrative oversight for an executive, including the coordination of communications and pertinent data among a group of the executive's subordinate management staff. Performs and / or oversees special projects or assignments that are highly sensitive or complex in nature, requiring a high level of independence and initiative in execution and implementation. Handles details and oversees work of a highly confidential and critical nature to support the executive on matters of significance.
The incumbent is a member of the Campus Provost/Executive Vice Chancellor's (CP/EVC) direct support team. The CP/EVC's direct support staff actively collaborate with colleagues in the CP/EVC Office, throughout the campus and systemwide to support the productivity of the CP/EVC.
The incumbent must work in an environment of heavy workloads, pressing deadlines and shifting priorities where a high level of confidentiality and sensitivity to issues is present. Work must be done promptly and accurately. The ability to adapt to constantly shifting priorities, while managing strict and sometimes competing deadlines and unexpected urgent situations is necessary. This is a shared work environment and being able to thrive as a member of a team in a collaborative environment is critical. Position requires strong organizational and communication skills. This position requires an appreciation of the mission of the institution as well as the insight, tact, discretion, and diplomacy to deal effectively with executives, staff, faculty, students and community members.
Under the supervision of the Director of Operations, the incumbent will manage an executive calendar and ensure CP/EVC meeting, decision support, travel, and logistical needs are handled promptly and efficiently.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: $60,000-$72,000/Annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full
40 hours weekly
Employee Classification: Career Appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: None
90% - Administrative and Analytical Support
As a member of a collaborative administrative team, ensure the support needs of the CP/EVC are handled promptly and efficiently. Work in partnership with the administrative support team to review and prioritize all incoming requests and outstanding action items; and, review the support needs of the CP/EVC to ensure they are handled promptly and efficiently. Collaborate with other divisional and campus staff as needed to ensure campus priorities are met.
● Manage an executive schedule to assure a balance between moving priorities forward, attending to urgent issues, and ensuring regular meetings with key constituents and leaders occur.
● Allocate CP/EVC time and manage scheduled administrative and scholarly events, travel, meetings, and focused time for completion of critical tasks.
● Respond to inquiries from faculty, staff, students and the public on behalf of the CP/EVC on a wide variety of matters; handle inquiries with sensitivity and tact, and where needed with confidentiality and discretion.
● Using a high level of discretion and diplomacy, investigate issues and problems to provide additional information where needed.
● Daily review of all emails and meeting notes to identify additional or updated action items; assign actions to the leadership team and members of the CP/EVC team.
● Work closely with the Records Management team to archive, retrieve and store documents according to campus policies; Organize and archive CP/EVC email account daily to facilitate future retrieval.
● Maintain a comprehensive database of initiatives and assignments, to include actions delegated to senior leaders and members of the CP/EVC team.
● Track activities on UC Office of the President mandates, campus special projects and CP/EVC initiatives.
● May organize ad hoc and ongoing large group meetings
● May organize large scale events, arranging and managing logistics, agenda development, guest accommodations, travel, etc.
● Serve as a back-up for the other Executive Support Admin Staff during peak workload times or during an absence, which includes research, create, and update daily briefing packets to provide background information, talking points, links, agendas, and other essential materials in preparation for the next day's schedule.
5% - Systems Improvement and Work Management
Participate in the development and implementation of improved systems for effectively and efficiently managing calendars, information, projects and communications to ensure accurate and timely responses.
5% - Development Activities
Participate in workshops and trainings, professional groups and organizations in order to enhance skills and stay current on tools.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Solid analytical as well as problem identification and solving skills.
• Political acumen and awareness to the differing perspectives and political circumstances within all levels of the organization including the Office of the President and external constituencies.
• Ability to use high-level discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Strong written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with staff, faculty, alumni / donors, students and external constituencies.
• Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on projects.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently or with minimal supervision.
• Strong service orientation.
• Solid attention to detail and ability to retain information.
• Excellent interpersonal skills including active listening, clarification, and de-escalation as appropriate.
• Thorough knowledge of common computer application programs, especially the Google suite.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.