Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Assistant Director of Study Away. The Center for Study Away (CSA) supports intellectual and cultural engagement through study away, as an enduring part of a liberal arts education, and strives to ensure that study away experiences reflect the core values of Macalester College – scholarship, internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society. Reporting to the Director of Study away, the Assistant Director will assist in developing key strategies for CSA and be a key player in collaborative work aimed at providing study away experiences that support the CSA mission.
• Oversees evaluation and assessment efforts, including measuring achievement of student learning outcomes and quality of study away programs
• Collaborates with the staff of the CSA to provide advising, programming, and support for Macalester students seeking to study away
• Manages daily operations of the CSA, including developing and implementing policy and procedure and ensuring compliance with best practices
• Collaborates with CSA Director to develop key strategies for achieving the CSA mission
• Collaborates with and provides leadership to faculty on Macalester's faculty-led programs (both semester and short-term)
• Serves as department lead in absence of the Director
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Requires at least 5 years of related professional experience in international education administration, including experience with student advising, managing budgets, and assessment and evaluation processes
• Bachelor’s degree with a liberal arts background focused on an internationally related field, is required; Master’s degree in International Education or other related field, is preferred
• Significant intercultural living experience (could be for study or work)
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with faculty, staff, students, and parents from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
• Exceptional attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
• Demonstrated skills and experience with strategic planning, organization, and project management/development
• Familiarity with professional standards for good practice in international education, preferred
• Proficiency in at least one language in addition to English, preferred
• Experience with Terra Dotta software for Study Abroad, preferred
• Outstanding ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and ensure follow-through
• Expert ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal
• Demonstrated ability to work respectfully with sensitive and confidential information
• Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours
• Possess high level of intellectual curiosity and have a willingness to stay abreast of developments in higher education, education abroad, and liberal arts education through reading and other professional development activities
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than January 5, 2018. Review of applications will begin January 5, 2018. This posting will remain open until filled. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Kita Yang, Recruiter
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US upon employment start date.