The Port Authority of NY & NJ is looking for career-minded individuals with a passion and commitment to public service to join our distinguished rotational program for graduate students who expect to receive their degree in Fall 2017 or Spring 2018. This is your chance to join the Port Authority as we connect the region in new ways for generations to come.
If you have ever flown out of JFK, biked across the George Washington Bridge, or captured that perfect picture of the World Trade Center, then you have witnessed just some of what the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey does. We run some of the busiest and most critical transportation facilities in New York-New Jersey metropolitan region. It takes a dedicated team of over a thousand men and women to operate these facilities safely, efficiently, and with a high standard of customer service. Our nearly 7,000 employees are committed to the work they do – work that moves millions of people and supports billions of dollars in economic activity each year.
About the Program:
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s Leadership Fellows Program is a distinguished program for graduate students who expect to receive their degree in Fall 2017 or Spring 2018.
- The Leadership Fellows Program is a two-year rotational program that offers on-the-job experience in approximately four different business functions. Leadership Fellows have an opportunity to explore many different areas such as operations, finance, transportation, human resources, etc. The Leadership Fellows Program is designed to build a strong foundation of business acumen, adaptability, and knowledge of the Port Authority as a whole.
- Past Leadership Fellows have contributed to key regional capital programs, learned the nuts and bolts of policy development, and managed the challenges of daily operations at our transportation facilities. The breadth and depth of these experiences are critical in preparing Leadership Fellows to be future leaders within the agency.
- Leadership Fellows are presented with a variety of developmental opportunities that range from one-on-one coaching to structured mentoring and various targeted training programs.
- After successful completion of the program, Leadership Fellows will be considered for key positions in areas such as policy analysis, finance, capital programs, or related business functions.
- Leadership Fellows are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.
- The selection process for the program is highly rigorous and consists of multiple rounds of interviews, including a qualitative interview, a competency-based panel interview, and multiple assessment exercises
- Students graduating with a graduate degree in fall 2017 or spring 2018 are eligible to participate in the Program.
- Candidates should possess a record of academic achievement in the areas of public administration, business administration, public policy, urban planning, public finance, economics, transportation management, or a related discipline.
- Candidates must have a clear interest in a career in public service management.
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent problem solving, analytical, quantitative, written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills with a strong customer service orientation and political acumen.
- Candidates must be flexible and enthusiastic about experiencing all the Port Authority has to offer, including areas that are not necessarily aligned with their professional backgrounds.
- At least one year of work experience and/or internships in public service, transportation, government, or related fields is preferred.
How to Apply:
To apply, candidates should click on the Apply Now button and submitting a document containing their resume and responses to the essay questions.
The deadline to apply for the 2018 Leadership Fellows Program is Friday, December 8, 2017 at 11:59pm EST.
- Timeline: First-round interviews for the Program will begin in January. Second-round interviews will take place in February. Final selections and offers to selected candidates will be made in March. Our 2018 Leadership Fellows cohort will begin in July. This timeline is subject to change.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the both of the essay questions below.
- Please upload your essay responses and resume as one document in the section of the online application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Each essay response cannot exceed 250 words. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Applications that do not include a resume and an essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
- As part of our interview process, your essay will be evaluated for further candidacy consideration.
- Describe how you have used your leadership abilities to promote a positive culture in your school or organization.
- As a future manager/leader, what steps would you take and what skills would you apply in developing and supporting people that work for you?
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
About the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. Our portfolio of facilities includes the George Washington Bridge, JFK, Newark and LaGuardia Airports, Lincoln and Holland Tunnels, PATH, Port Authority Bus Terminal, to name a few. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere, and is currently involved in a number of multi-billion-dollar construction projects to expand and upgrade these critical infrastructure facilities.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This solicitation is not a guarantee of employment. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.