Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a full-time Director of Alumni Engagement to work in Advancement. This position supports the mission of Alumni Engagement by building and project managing strategies that engage alumni before, during, and after their milestone Reunions; and ensures the goals of this critical engagement and fundraising strategy of the College are met. The incumbent develops a regular format for engaging alumni virtually in lifelong learning with the College, in the Twin Cities and around the world. This position directs the communications strategy for Alumni Engagement, working closely with the Communications team to ensure timely and effective implementation and integration with all of Advancement communications; assists the Executive Director in budget management and other operational areas; and supervises the Alumni Engagement Reunion Coordinator and one of the Associate Directors.
• Partners closely with Special Events, Annual Fund, Communications and other campus partners to develop the overall strategy for Macalester’s annual reunion
• Project manages the production of Macalester's annual reunion; working closely with Special Events, Annual Fund and Communications; responsible for all aspects of reunion strategy direction and logistics
• Directs strategy for Alumni Engagement communications and ensures the integration of messaging and mediums with Advancement as a whole; and partners with Communications on implementation
• Builds a strategy for a virtual lifelong learning option for engaging alumni
• Develops programming for the 50th Reunion that is compelling and ultimately supports the fundraising efforts of the 50 Year class; program strategy begins with the 45th Reunion
• Supervises two staff members and ensures their work builds out event strategies, the Task Force strategy, and supports Alumni Award outreach and implementation
• Assists the Executive Director in the development and monitoring of the annual budget; and monitors budget reports and develops a monthly report on expenses and other functions as needed
• Required: 5-8 years of progressively responsible event strategy and administrative experience including contact with external constituencies in a busy office
• Experience in higher education, development and/or marketing is preferred
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
• Proven event strategy and implementation skills Proven volunteer management skills
• Proven volunteer management skills
• Exceptional attention to detail, deadlines, project follow-through, and budget management
• Demonstrated strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
• Outstanding ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and ensure follow-through
• Expert ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal
• Demonstrated ability to work respectfully with sensitive and confidential information
• Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours as requested, for special events
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than November 8, 2017. Review of applications will begin immediately. This posting will close on November 8, 2017. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Kita Yang, Recruiter
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visithttp://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.