Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Classification: Exempt, Part-Time (30 hours per week)
Last Updated: May 17, 2017
Metro Caring is on the front lines of hunger prevention, meeting people’s immediate need for food while also addressing the underlying causes of hunger. Metro Caring provides comprehensive programming through its fresh foods market, Seeds for Success job training, nutrition education classes, and other holistic programs. In August 2014, the Hunger Relief Center at Metro CareRing (Hunger Relief Center) was formed to construct, finance and own the Hunger Relief Center building. The building is used by Metro Caring as its headquarters.
Position Summary: The Metro Caring Controller is responsible for maintaining and overseeing Metro Caring and the Hunger Relief Center’s financial and accounting reporting. The position plays a critical role in ensuring financial reporting for Metro Caring and the Hunger Relief Center is accurate and maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. As Metro Caring continues to grow and expand its operations, this role will be critical in refining financial accounting processes and upgrading reporting systems.
- Monthly preparation of financial statements for Metro Caring and Hunger Relief Center for internal reporting purposes, as well as for reporting to the Board of Trustees and Finance Committee
- Monthly reconciliation of all general ledger accounts, including preparation of supporting schedules
- Monthly reconciliation of QuickBooks and donor database (Raiser’s Edge) each month
- Preparation of the annual budget for Metro Caring and Hunger Relief Center, in conjunction with staff
- Establish and enforce financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems
- Preparation of checks for payment of invoices, including proper budget coding and ensuring proper approval before payment
- Preparation of deposit slips for bank deposits
- Communicate with various program leads regarding budget status
- Collaborate with HR Generalist on benefits enrollment, payroll submission and payroll set-up for new employees
- Serve as liaison to Metro Caring’s Finance Committee; preparing advance reports, sharing data as requested at meetings
- Prepare materials for CPA firm to conduct annual audit and annual 990 for the Metro Caring and Hunger Relief Center
- Properly allocate shared expenses between programming, fundraising and administrative
- Other duties as assigned, including assisting with annual insurance renewals
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively, while also working collaboratively with other employees in the organization
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines as required
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and mutually supportive working relationships in a culturally and generationally diverse workplace. Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills. Confidence in communicating with staff at all levels.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting
- Non-profit experience preferred
- CPA preferred
- 5-7 years’ experience in financial reporting and maintenance of the general ledger
- Experience with QuickBooks and Raiser’s Edge preferred
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements with Controller in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 9, 2017. No phone calls please. This position offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Metro Caring is an equal opportunity employer. The organization is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and we encourage applications from qualified individuals of all backgrounds.